I woke up to the sound of people roaming the hallways. I look at my phone, and it is 10:30 AM. I actually managed to get a full night’s sleep. I knew it would be the start of a good day. I generally skip hotel breakfast, because you can only have so much powdered eggs and microwave bacon. I got a text from crew scheduling the day before, telling me to call at some point today for a new assignment.

After making the phone call, I find out that I am being assigned to another plane sitting at KEGE. I’ve flown in and out of KEGE about 4 times, but only once in the Falcon. I remember getting terrain warnings on the departure.


KEGE Departure Procedure

As you you can see, when taking off to the west, you make an immediate left turn to avoid smacking into a mountain. Apparently, the old GPWS in the last Falcon I flew was pretty sensitive. Since I’ll be airlining in, I will have plenty of time to load a practice APG airport analysis and review their recommended procedure. It’s always a good idea to look at their procedures at least a few times before you actually fly them.

As I talked about in my last post, I am grinding out a new Mega Bonus, so I will be checking out of the Washington Dulles Airport Marriott and finding somewhere else to sleep. But first, it is time for lunch. Again, in my quest to hoard as many Marriott points as possible, I had lunch in the hotel restaurant. I had the BBQ chicken cobb salad, which was excellent. There were a couple of United Airlines pilots at the table next to me. It sounded like the first officer was brand new to the airplane, because the captain was telling him about the walk around, and how they will take some pictures, and do some other things. There’s a joke about Gulfstream pilots that I think applies to airline pilots as well.

How can you tell if someone is a Gulfstream pilot? They’ll tell you.

I decided to drive to Washington, D.C. to do some sightseeing. I researched various parking options, and found one that was $11 on the weekend. In big metro areas like this, I would much rather Uber or walk around the city, as driving can be extremely frustrating. Today was no different. Lots of closures, pedestrian traffic, and poorly marked parking garages made for a difficult time getting around. Luckily, I found the garage I identified before I left and found a spot. I parked on I street, just north of the White House.

Interesting mix of people

Washington D.C has an interesting confluence of cultures, beliefs, and ideology. This picture was taken outside of the White House. It’s hard to even explain what’s going on. The “Silver Secret Service” guy on the left is a street performer, just like you would see in Vegas. The guy with the guitar is some college bro who decided to get down. Behind them are anti-abortion protest signs. One of them compared abortion to Nazi Germany.

As I made my way down the street, there was a convention of Spanish speaking priests who were in a band. They were leading a group prayer. I went to checkout the Washington Monument and Lincoln Memorial.

This was on my way up to the Lincoln Memorial. The guy with the sign was protesting President Trump. It was hard to get inside, as people were sitting on the steps and blocking anyone from ascending. I found out later that tomorrow they’re going to drain the reflecting pool, so I’m glad I decided to go today.

I wanted to go to the Smithsonian, but was feeling hot and tired, and decided to save it for another time. I booked the Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott Dulles Airport. Fairfields are on the lower end of the Marriott spectrum, but this one is pretty nice. Not bad for $110.

It is a no frills type of hotel. This was seems fairly modern and quiet, as it’s in a secluded area. I should be able to get a good night’s sleep and head to the airport in the morning.

Check out Day 4 Here